Saturday, August 9, 2014

Volbeat, Hellyeah, Iced Earth, Heart-Set Self-Destruct, (Live Beyond Hell Tour, July 3, 2012)



I got off work and went right to the venue. Started off with a mindset….”what to do while I wait for the doors to open at 6:30pm.” Well, I hovered myself upon the bar and figured, “what the hell, have a beer.” Since it was July 3, 2012, I had July 4th off! Time to celebrate our American pastime..metal and beer!
After a few suds and moving into the main venue of the Knitting Factory in Spokane, Washington (http://sp.knittingfactory.com/), Heart-Set Self-Destruct (http://heartsetselfdestruct.com/) were on the stage. They are a band from Chicago, Illinois…they are perfect for the boring rock radio that’s out there these days…so if you like heartfelt, basic rock radio tunes…you’ll enjoy. Next was Iced Earth (http://www.icedearth.com/). This band has been around forever and I was excited to see them for the first time and I was truly impressed. From what I felt, they were a grittier Iron Maiden with just as an amazing voice as Bruce Dickinson. Stu Block can wail and the crowd was really into Iced Earth, kudos to the band!
Next was Hellyeah (http://www.hellyeahband.com/ and all you can say was HELLYEAH! This was the band I came to see and you’re talking about one spectacular show! This supergroup ; members of Mudvayne, Pantera, Nothingface and Damageplan played their greatest hits so far plus a few tunes off the upcoming release, Band of Brothers. I must say, I have not sung along to the lyrics at a concert like that in quite some time but I was totally in the moment and loved releasing that energy.
Volbeat (http://www.volbeat.dk/2/index.php ) was the headliner. To all you people who love the classics, this band will cover it all. They are a hybrid of Elvis, Johnny Cash and Metallica all wrapped into one. The demand to see this band was overwhelming and the tour was nice enough to stick around until July 5, 2012 to play another sold out show at the Knitting Factory. The energy and vibe this Danish band gives on stage is infectious. The connection of the past molding into today’s noise is the perfect answer to all the nonsense that fills the airwaves today.  Not exactly too dynamic on stage, but the music speaks for itself and they have an uniform look on stage that makes perfect sense to their rockabilly/metal vibe.
Volbeat’s Setlist: July 3, 2012:
    1. The Human Instrument
    2. I Only Want to Be with You
Pool of Booze, Booze, Booza

No comments:

Post a Comment