Saturday, August 9, 2014

Killswitch Engage, Miss May I, Darkest Hour, The Word Alive | June 28, 2013 | Knitting Factory, Spokane, WA


It’s been many years since I last saw Killswitch Engage perform on stage. The last time they came through Spokane, WA, I was relatively new the area and simply freaked out about driving in the snow to see a show. I had purchased tickets and the whole nine yards but didn’t see the risk was worth taking just to see a band I had seen before years prior and if recall correctly, I had contacted the Knitting Factory asking to either give my ticket away or if the show was canceled due to the snow. Well, I have come a long ways (somewhat since then) and would risk a concert in the snow many times over since then. Driving in the snow is a ridiculous thing in every way but that’s life living here.
As for this concert, there were four other bands to hit the stage before Killswitch Engage and I wasn’t interested in any of them. Knowing that the Killswitch style will be represented over and over again in these opening acts, I found myself gravitate towards the bar on this night. It was a rare moment of self-indulgence to get through the night. I also found myself a bit interested in dating once again and was in contact with a potential date. We had been conversing back and forth via emails and texts for a while and I had been full of excuses in not setting up a proper date. The one phone call we did have screamed of red flags but I wanted to give this person the benefit of the doubt before casting judgment.  Yes, ladies, it does not take a long while to gather the information needed to see that it’s either going to be worth investing more time with you or humoring you through the evening and send you home floating on air expecting a second date. I am one charming soul and sincere even when I see no potential.
The first band to hit the stage was Affiance. I would say this was the best opening band that came on the stage that night. The lead singer had a good voice, energetic and the band sounded strong.  The Word AliveDarkest Hour and Miss May I all put sets together that were snoozers and you could close your eyes and think you’re hearing the same band. Perhaps the adult beverages were kicking in and my eye began to wander, entertaining myself by meeting some of the natives, having no fear in hitting on a gorgeous tattooed woman and starting a typical conversation in that state of confidence, “who did your tattoo work?” She seemed quite comfortable in sharing the information and became a bit touchy feely which I did not mind one bit when she smiled in my direction with that gleam in her dark eyes to my silly introductory question.
Killswitch Engage finally hits the stage and I’m beyond in a zone at that point. Killswitch Engage is supporting their latest release and tour that’s entitled Disarm The Descent. They have re-hired the original singer of the band to make this album after many years with Howard Jones on vocals who replaced the original singer many years back. Howard was fantastic and it’s too bad he couldn’t keep it together physically/spiritually to continue but I pray he comes back to make his own music someday (which I believe he is doing now). Killswitch played a variety of classics and new releases and the energy in the room was intense and beautiful. To hear the classic Fixation On The Darkness and the latest hit In Due Time in all their melodic/noisy glory live are a special moments. The music had me moving uncontrollably in what is usually a controllable level of movement and expression but I was in another realm at that point and did not care how I looked, acted or portrayed myself. There’s no one here in town who knows me in this world so I do not have to pretend. I wish I let myself go more at these shows and release that energy inside that builds up.
I would say you should see Killswitch Engage live to appreciate the power and beauty that makes this band continue to withstand the test of time in a sound that is saturated with weaker sounds of similarity.



No comments:

Post a Comment