Saturday, August 9, 2014

Blackberry Smoke with Jones & Fischer, April 19, 2014, Knitting Factory, Spokane, WA


This particular night out was a special one. I felt relatively myself for the first time in long time living up here in Spokane. I was in my element, sharing stories and laughs with good friends about music and life. Alas, this night was not about the music for me at all, it was to feel a bit in a loop again amongst people of like mind and interests. People who have much to say who are so very kind, giving and wonderful.
I met up with my friends inside the restaurant attached to the venue but it was a bit tricky to get things correct in order for us to actually meet up in the restaurant. With no reservations (never expecting the restaurant to be that busy), I happen to get in and acquired the seating needed by the skin of my teeth. I was given 5 places to sit/stand along the wall. That was all that was available (nonsense, there ultimately was a table for ten we could have sat at but it didn’t matter in the end). I texted my friends to let them know I was in the room and where I was located. When they came in to the restaurant where to find me by telling the hostess which section I’m at. Well, the friends became a bit delayed and did not check their phone too soon because they were pushed away at the door when they initially arrived, being told they cannot come in. When they did show up after explaining to them that I got in and have the seats need, they were still being told they could not come in. So I walked up to the door where I see them standing outside with some dipshit bouncer fuck who doesn’t understand what they are trying to do. I had to explain it to the hostess and the dipshit bouncer that HELLO, I am here and seated and have reserved the seating for these people, let them in! You could see the mice on fire in both of these peoples’ brains trying to compute the words coming out of my mouth.  Finally, they were allowed entrance where we shared a few moments before the show with a few beers. Keep in mind, I had ordered a beer about a half hour after getting in the door and it never arrived. I was ignored by the server until he acknowledged my existence, that’s when I ordered the beer that never came.  Their service is beyond pathetic unless you’re at the bar itself. Since they do not write orders down, they forget or ignore if too busy.
As for the music review, there was a huge delay in the start of this show which under regular circumstances would fire me up having to wait that long for the show to begin (these guys aren’t Axl Rose). But with the company with me, the time flew by. The Delta Saints were supposed to be there that evening but clearly something didn’t work out and they never played. The only other opening act was Jones & Fischer. I’ve never heard of them before but they sounded pretty good for a country, high energy sound. It’s hard to get into this type of music unless a little tipsy and after those few beers, Jones & Fischer sounded like a good time of hoein’ down.
Blackberry Smoke was quite entertaining. This was the last show in the Fire In The Hole Tour. The varying degrees of Southern Rock they play kept me interested in hearing the next song for quite a bit of the set. I began to slow down a bit by mid end of the show for eventually all Southern Rock sounds the same. I will give these guys credit though, they have a loyal following and a good time vibe where anyone with half an open mind could have a good evening out and I must say, I felt very blessed.
Fire in the Hole Tour, 2014
Fire in the Hole Tour, 2014
Jones & Fischer
Jones & Fischer, opener for Blackberry Smoke
Thank you, friends…I will never forget.

No comments:

Post a Comment