Saturday, August 9, 2014

Red Line Chemistry, Gemini Syndrome, Thirion, June 8, 2013, Knitting Factory, Spokane, WA


Oh, blessed event, the concert was on a Saturday night! That seems to be a rarity these days with many of the shows I attend in Spokane. First band up was Thirion. Not a memorable sound but the lead singer looked like one of my best friends in Redding, CA, which cracked me up! Hard to take them serious at that point because he had the same ridiculous dance moves as my friend. They are a local band and will remain that. Gemini Syndrome was up next. Bands that you see live but never had heard before tend to fall flat and this band was no exception. I have seen the presentation before and I give them credit for making an effort. In a live setting, with unknown music, it sounds all the same and it always does. Dig a little deeper and you find an actual gem. This band has a shot to go further but they are bringing a lot of clichés of 90s nu-metal along with them. They remind me of Coal Chamber with robotic moves and stupid scary faces that look like they could do without if their music could live up to expectation. I see they are part of the big radio rock festival coming in 2013 to the Greyhound out in Idaho but I would take a bathroom break if I were you.
Red Line Chemistry was the reason to attend this show and they did not disappoint one bit. As a matter of fact, they were better than expected. For a band that has only two albums to their credit, they have had quite a great streak of radio hits and their latest album, Tug Of War is superior to their first release, Dying For A Living. A solid setlist and good energy from an engaging crowd. I think, though, this was the smallest crowd I have ever seen for a show at the Knitting Factory and was a bit surprised considering how much the local rock radio station plays Red Line Chemistry. Spokane missed out on a great band, period.



No comments:

Post a Comment