Saturday, August 9, 2014

Trivium, DevilDriver, After The Burial, Sylosis 9/13/13


The previous evening, I was at the Carnival Of Madness Tour with headliners Shinedown and it was an outdoor event on a very warm evening in Spokane, WA. By the time that show was over, my body was worn out! I asked my friends at that show if they were interested in going to the Knitting Factory the next evening but it wasn’t exactly something they were interested in and quite frankly, back to back nights for them was a bit too much to contemplate (Of course, Trivium and DevilDriver are a much heavier sound so you have to enjoy that kind of noise in the first place).
Sylosis opened the show and they were the same boring band as before. I still would like to see them on a stage that it just for them (to see if they would move around and make some kind of physical effort that the music they create actually moves them).
After The Burial was next up on the stage and by that time, I had taken the opportunity to pass the time by enjoying some adult beverages, which made the opening bands a blur. I had scored a table up by the bar and noticed a few yahoos wishing I’d leave. I asked them if they’d like to join me but I wasn’t about to move. They complied and we bantered back and forth at times during both opening bands. They were the typical stoners, able to makeshift their e-cigs to work with marijuana so they were enjoying themselves (God bless em).
During the evening, I stayed in touch with my best friend and updated him on my adventures that night via text and images. Being one of the elder statesman these days at such shows, some may find my nights out at concerts a bit dated and childish…all I can say to that is Fuck Off and Die! It’s the only thing in my life that never went away; that sticks by through heaven and hell on Earth and it’s God’s gift to my life that brings any kind of meaning so experiencing the gifts of so many talented individuals (and even the bad/boring ones) is a blessing.
I came to see one band and one band only; DevilDriver. Again were fantastic, supporting their latest release “Winter Kills.” With six albums released since 2002, they have plenty of material to play. And, wow did they deliver some classics and strong new tunes off the latest release!
It is very rare that I leave early for any show but as I get older and simply more opinionated on talent, I have a tendency to leave early if opportunity arises. This is the second show of 2013 in which I left early because the chosen headliner is by far weaker than another band on the list. I stuck around for about 3 songs of Trivium before I gave up. I simply do not get why they have any fans. Much like the latest installment of a piss-pore hybrid band like Avenged Sevenfold who do not deserve a thing because they stole everything the best bands on Earth ever did, Trivium have always sounded that way to me as well. Boring stage presence, Metallica riffs and think they deserve to be bigger than they really are. It’s a new generation of fans they must capture in order to maintain because if those younger fans ever see who created their sound, those young fans will quickly dismiss Trivium as well. 






No comments:

Post a Comment